Monday, August 17, 2009

Me Learning How to Cook

Since I've recently started trying to eat healthier and get into shape, that means that I have to learn how to cook. Part of learning how to cook is finding recipes not only that I like, but that are healthy as well.

This has been quite a big chore for me for a few reasons:
  1. I'm extremely picky
  2. I'm not a good cook
  3. I don't understand nutrition very well
  4. Being a perfectionist makes following a recipe painful
Just a few weeks ago I didn't know how to really make anything besides toaster waffles and fish sticks in the oven, stuff that you can pretty much do without too much trouble. I now officially know how to make three dishes.

The first dish I learned how to make wasn't very good the first time I tried it, but it's gotten better and better each time, now that I've learned how to play around with recipes a bit and not be so uptight about it.

Broccoli and Brown Rice Skillet Dinner:

This dish consists of brown rice, chicken, broccoli, low fat cheese, garlic powder and black pepper. First I chop up the broccoli and boil it in a pot or deep pan in chicken broth. While the Broccoli is boiling I cut up the chicken and add it to the mix. Once the chicken is done cooking all the way through, I add the rice and let it soak long enough to be come soft. When it's all done I melt a mix of Italian cheeses on top and I'm good to go. It's making me hungry just thinking about it. I also came up with a variation of this dish (which I'm counting as my second learned meal). One day I had already started the dish when I realized that I didn't have any brown rice, so I replaced the rice with stuffing, a bit higher in calories, but worth it in flavor in my opinion.

Broccoli Brown Rice Skillet Dinner Recipe

The third meal I learned how to make I made for the first time today; broccoli, white bean and cheddar soup. I will say that this soup hardly looks appetizing but it didn't taste nearly as disgusting as I had anticipated. Really, I would just say that this dish was just okay, it wasn't fantastic, but if I were in kind of a rush, this would be a suitable meal to make as it only took about 20 minutes to make.

Broccoli, White Bean and Cheddar Soup Recipe

Now to find a recipe that doesn't include broccoli. (Even though I think it's the most delicious food on the face of the earth)

2 comments:

  1. Cooking can be so much fun when you start to experiment and play around. It's like my stress-relief when I get home from the office. Try getting a new vegetable every week - google it, etc. As a bonus, try getting a LOCALLY grown vegetable from the farmer's market. OK - We should just go to the farmer's market - I could show you so many wonderful things!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO I didn't realize this was you Jen hahah, I was like who is this creeper wanting to go to the market with me? wth. hahaha

    yeah I like most vegetables I just don't know how to prepare them :/ maybe u could give me some pointers sometime :]

    sorry i didn't reply until now, blogger doesn't alert you when someone comments on a post which is slightly irritating.

    ReplyDelete