Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"The Cove" and the Last Day of Summer Vacay

I realized in class today, that I get to kind of gradually ease back into the whole school routine, which is really cool, better than jumping right into all my classes all at once.

Biology 101 started today. I think that's going to be my hardest class, I'm a little worried that it's going to be a little over my head. I think it will be fine though, I'll just have to put more time into it than I would for easier classes.

My Sociology class doesn't start until September 16th and then my English Comp and computer class start October 21st. I hope I'm glad I scheduled this way.

Yesterday I hung out with my cousin Rikki and enjoyed my last day of summer vacation.


We took a walk in the park and got some pretty pictures...

It was a good day, we definitely got our exercise in, we walked around three miles just in the park. Note to self: Don't wear flip flops on long walks, it won't end well.

Today in Bio we watched a trailer for a movie/documentary/thriller called "The Cove". It's about what I guess is a mass slaughter of dolphins in Japan. Most of the world doesn't know about it, even the people in Japan. Most people who know me know that I'm far from being an animal rights activist, the problem I have with this, is that they are taking this dolphin meat, and selling it like it's fish and sushi (a.k.a. lying). Dolphins are not fish, they're mammals and they live longer than fish and they gather up quite a few toxins in their bodies over time. I guess the documentary goes on to show how this is causing health problems, including birth defects, in Japan. (I don't really know, my teacher saw the whole movie already at a film festival.)

"The Cove" Website

The trailer doesn't make it look all that exciting, and according to my professor, doesn't do the movie justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment